Assistant Payroll Manager
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, CERN in Europe and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
The Finance Section provides safe, efficient, effective financial operations in support of the Laboratory's high-energy physics program in accordance with all laws, regulations and DOE requirements. Within the section, the Accounting Department provides accounting, reporting and other financial services to support the research programs at the Lab and is responsible for recording, organizing, summarizing, and interpreting the financial activities of the laboratory.
Fermilab’s Finance Section seeks an expert Assistant Payroll Manager / Accountant Lead.
We are looking for an experienced payroll professional to learn the manager’s job while being trained by current payroll manager. We are a small payroll department requiring collaboration among all staff members. Experience leading payroll staff, processing payrolls start to finish, all aspects of payroll taxes, analytical skills, and able to build and maintain excel spreadsheets are qualities we are seeking.
• Prepares sophisticated financial statements/reports for management, the Department of Energy, taxing bodies, and others within or outside the Laboratory.
• Analyzes complex problems or discrepancies and implements corrective action or provides supervisor with analysis and recommended action.
• Builds or uses systems query tool to meet the information needs in area of assignment.
• Interacts with and provides information to employees, users and outside individuals or organizations, including explaining unusual or complex transactions or procedures.
• Creates and transmits sensitive, confidential data to third parties.
• Maintains, revises, and reviews policies, procedures and systems.
• Develops test cases and/or performs testing related to the implementation or upgrade of financial software applications, as assigned.
• Interacts with computing personnel in identifying, reporting, testing, and resolving system problems and/or implementing system enhancements.
• Directs the activities of, trains, and may supervise other accounting personnel, as assigned.
• Maintains accounting records pertinent to assigned area, including procedure manual.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Abides by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
• Prepares, processes, and reconciles payroll data within the company payroll system.
• Maintains payroll data files and employee personnel files in accordance with company policy and procedures.
• Reconciles quarterly payroll reports to ensure accurate wage and tax liability reporting.
• Communicates with internal and external auditors as required.
• Upholds the security and confidentiality of payroll documents and data.
We are looking for:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and 5 years of proven experience managing payroll department and inhouse payroll processing at a medium to large organization.
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft payroll, Kronos (timecard), Ceridian (tax filing) and Workday.
• Knowledgeable about Wage garnishment and Child support reporting
• Union payroll experience
• Attention to detail, accuracy, and deadlines.
• Ability to stay organized, multi-task efficiently, and pivot as needed.
• Knowledge and experience with multi state taxation is required.
• Knowledge of visas and foreign taxation a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office including strong expertise in Excel.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Capacity to work within several software products.
• Time management skills needed for tight month end deadlines and processing schedules.
Relocation will not be considered, however Hybrid schedule is possible.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
HUMAN FACTORS: Mental Concentration, Repetitive Motion, Sitting, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.
REAL-ID Requirement for access to Fermilab Campus
Fermilab and FRA requires all members of the public to produce a REAL-ID, or equivalent, to access the Fermilab Campus for interviews or career events. A list of acceptable forms of ID can be found here: https://get-connected.fnal.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/REALID-Documents.pdf If a candidate is selected for an interview but does not possess any of the equivalent documents, we may schedule a virtual interview.